Online Dating Your Digital Agency
Searching for a digital agency can be a bit like online dating. You check out the pictures on their website, read their bios and history, maybe even have a few friendly chats over email. You’re thinking it might be time for the first big date, but slow down there, Romeo. Sure, this company looks good, but are you two compatible for the long haul? Here are 3 things you should consider before making the big commitment:
1. What does it offer? A good creative digital agency does a lot more than just build websites. It can also provide email campaigns, mobile optimization, online advertising, analytics and social media help. A great agency can help provide insights into your company’s brand, your customers, and your marketing efforts.
2. What’s the reputation? Are previous customers satisfied with the agency’s work? Quotes of praise from past clients can help you get to know the agency before you ever talk face-to-face, but that’s just the beginning.
Look to see if there are multiple projects with the same client, which indicates repeat business. Also, don’t be afraid to ask the agency’s average client lifecycle. The average client lifecycle is about 3-4 years. If clients are breaking up after just one year, it could spell trouble. On the other hand, if the agency is celebrating a 5 or 6-year anniversary with a client, they’re probably doing something right.
3. What is the pricing schedule? Money can’t buy you love, but it can buy you a pretty tricked out website or marketing campaign. Find an agency you can fall in love with, and talk about your budget versus its pricing schedule. You’re both investing in this relationship: the agency’s resources, and your budget. Just like in a relationship, communication is going to play a big part in whether you and your agency share a Happily Ever After, or find yourselves parting ways after the second date.
Relationship experts will tell you that self-reflection is critical to a happy and healthy partnership. Starting a project with a digital agency also requires a little navel-gazing, but on the company level. Here are a few things to consider before signing ‘I Do’ on the dotted line.
1. What are your goals for the project? Knowing the overall goals of your online presence can help define which assets are right for you, which ones you already have and which ones an agency can help you develop.
If you don’t know the answer to #1, look for an agency that specializes in client discovery and insight.
2. What do you need? Now that you know your goals, you can think about what you need to achieve them. A social media campaign might not be the best solution if your goal is to increase traffic to your webpage, but a Google AdWords campaign combined with a website redesign might be just the ticket.
It’s okay to say, “I don’t know what I need.” If you have the answer to #1, an agency can help you figure out how to achieve your goals.
3. What’s your budget? Sound familiar? It really is that important. Review your budget carefully, considering what you plan to invest and what your ROI expectations are. Share these insights with the agency so everyone is on the same page from day one.
Identifying and communicating things like company goals, agency skill sets, prices and budgets will help insure that you and your agency are a match made in marketing heaven.
Flowers are great, and candy is sweet. We think working with you would be really neat! Contact us for digital marketing strategies & solutions you’re sure to fall for!